What is this project about?
Worked as a Senior Product Manager at Wattpad to help monetize (from freemium to paid) the product that has a global community of 70M+ readers and writers. Particularly, focusing on the user-monetization on the platform – via virtual economy, ads, and subscription.
Why work at Wattpad?
Joining Wattpad and going back to the broad media space has been of keen interest to me because:
- Interested in learning and contributing to the evolution of value-exchange on the internet (beyond just ads). For example, the evolution of subscription (netflix, spotify, etc) to micro-payments or in-app-purchases (e.g games like league of legends and fortnight).
- Media (aka storytelling and entertainment) is central and arguably the most used and influential part of the internet. How can I contribute to helping it make it better for the rest?
- Building onto my learnings (projects) from Checkout51 (acquired by News Corp) – and JournalingHabit.com (personal media project).
Beyond the above reasons and learning goals, I have admired the leadership team and culture (how work gets done) at Wattpad. I am excited to be part of the team and build the product at Wattpad!
Highlights at Wattpad
Learnings and Blog Posts
Detailed blog posts coming soon
- Understanding Online Literary Market for Writing Fiction
- Creating an app and targeting it for teens and pre-teens
- Optimizing for a freemium to premium app upgrade (like Spotify, Youtube etc)